Daily Specials

Dan Tidwell opens the original Treebeards in a former pool hall on Preston St. tucked in between a peep show arcade & a rowdy bar.  Jamie Mize joins the company within the year.

  • 1978

    Dan Tidwell opens the original Treebeards in a former pool hall on Preston St. tucked in between a peep show arcade & a rowdy bar.  Jamie Mize joins the company within the year.

  • 1980

    The original Treebeards moves to 315 Travis St (current day location) facing Market Square in the second oldest building, circa 1861, in Houston.  The Baker-Travis building’s previous tenants included a seed store, a tailor shop run by Rex Braun (former State Rep), a toy store, and several lounges including the Super Market, a popular psychedelic night club in the late 1960’s.

  • 1981

    Treebeards Cloister opens in the social hall and adjoining courtyard at Christ Church Cathedral.  Founded on March 16, 1839, Christ Church Cathedral was Houston’s first religious congregation (Episcopalian) and is the only one still worshiping on its original site from the days when Houston was the capital of the Republic of Texas. Treebeards begins serving many judges, juries, and attorneys at this location near the courthouse.

  • 1990

    Treebeards Tunnel, 1100 Louisiana, opens in a previous tenant’s vacant employee cafeteria in the basement of the 51 story office building.  This was also Jolie Stinneford’s, one of Treebeards current owners, first day at Treebeards.

  • 1996

    Treebeards Take-Away opens at 700 Rusk, tunnel level, between Two Shell Plaza and Pennzoil Place.  This tiny restaurant, exclusively take-out, was somewhat of a new concept serving a limited menu of Treebeards favorites.

  • 2010

    Longtime manager, Jolie Stinneford, and her husband, Charles, along with another longtime manager, Matt Rowden, purchase Treebeards from the founders, Dan Tidwell and Jamie Mize.

  • 2011

    Treebeards in the Shops at Houston Center, another takeout only location, opens in a former Leopold Price & Rolle location.  

  • 2012

    Treebeards moves the original Treebeards TakeAway at 700 Rusk one block north and opens at Pennzoil Place, tunnel level.  The new location is bigger, better, and serves chicken fried chicken for the first time!

© 2017 Treebeards • Website Design By Orphmedia